Wednesday 9 December 2009

Alice in Christmasland

Coming from a maharashtrian family, we never really celebrated Christmas beyond keeping an old sock by the pillow on the night of Christmas eve and waking up to the excitement of a Christmas present. But now, as I experience Christmas in all it’s glory in London, I feel a little like Alice in wonderland. Be it those bewitching display windows or the endless stacks of chrsitmas puds in Marks & Spencer or the festive lights at every nook and corner or the beautifully wrapped Christmas gifts which scream ‘grab me!’, I can’t help but feel the festive cheer.

And what a delight it is for a foodie like me. Christmas would be unthinkable without the food. I asked my boss, what her family actually does during Christmas and she said, ‘Hmm.. we eat!’. And I don’t think she meant it to be a joke. Because soon after our neighbours invited us to a Christmas dinner and to my bemused astonishment handed us a 5 course laminated menu two months in advance. Why? Just so that we are comfortable with everything on the menu. It made me think what a sharp chaotic contrast the diwali party at my home was!

But yes, Christmas is an absolute foodie joy ride and the Christmas markets are a good start. Nearly a month before Christmas, Christmas markets come alive all over Europe and it feels as if they are right out of Santa’s village. We happened to be in Prague last Christmas and visited the big Christmas market in the square. A huge Christmas tree against the backdrop of a beautiful cathedral.. quaint little stalls.. beautiful local handicrafts… veerrrryyy cold.. warm mulled wine.. piping hot bramboraks (Czech potato pancakes).. children playing in the square.. horse carriages.. just perfect.

Now the next best thing is the Christmas cake. What is exciting about it is the way it is made. It is a rich, spiced fruit cake, made 3-4 months before Christmas. Then every week it is drizzled with some brandy, so that it stays moist and ‘matures’ by Christmas. I am told a good Christmas cake will keep for 3-4 years! I found this quite unbelievable at first. So I guess to stop me from blabbering away my views, my host offered me a slice and I was so lost munching moodily on that piece of aromatic drunkenness that nothing else mattered. Sigh!

But not everyone makes this fab cake. Those who don’t, make the Christmas pudding. This is a simpler cousin of the Christmas cake and instead of being baked, it is steamed for a good 4-5 hours before it is served with say, brandy butter.

Over the years, I have learnt several interesting traditions around the Christmas pudding but the one that I find most interesting is the custom of putting charms.. like small coins, rings etc. in the pudding batter before it is baked. The charm means something for the person who finds it while eating the pud. So if someone finds a coin, it means prosperity, if someone finds a ring, it means wedding bells and so on. Now funnily enough there is an exact same custom among Maharashtrians where we put coins in ‘modaks’ which are served at the time of Ganesh puja and whoever finds a coin is destined to have a prosperous year ahead. Isn’t it a weird coincidence that such different cultures should have similar culinary customs?

Finally, the ultimate Christmas feast - the traditional roast turkey. It’s a big delicious meal – the stuffed roast turkey with fragrant gravy, red red cranberry chutney, chipolatas (bacon covered sausages), honeyed carrots and parsnips (or some other veggies), glorious golden roast potatoes.. and all this with a glass of good wine or champagne.

I have decided I must know how to make a perfect roast.. it’s too bad if I live in this country and don’t know this! So I have bought myself a big Christmas cookbook and I have set myself the challenge of the following meal to honour Christmas and my husband’s birthday –
Maple glazed roast chicken with fragrant brown gravy
Chipolatas
Red red cranberry chutney
Honey glazed carrots and
Golden roast potatoes (crisp on the outside and soft inside).
And for dessert, a slight traditional twist.. Christmas pudding ice cream!

Care to join us for dinner anyone? Merry Christmas either way!

3 comments:

  1. Damn, reading this made me hungry :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just chomped kebabs with parathas and i am still hungry.

    You must watch Julie & Julia and by the way you are ready to write your own cooking memoirs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey J,

    Wow, the Christmas dinner sounds fantastic! Let me know when you two are free for Filipino food ok? And when will you blog about the 3 birthday cakes?!

    Hug,
    Jules

    ReplyDelete