Friday 13 November 2009

Bake India Bake

Ever since i moved to London three years back, i have developed a hobby which is dangerously lurking on the threshold of becoming a profession. I am an HR professional by day and an avid cook and patissier by night. My objective is to become a professional patissier and chocolatier in due course and start my own little venture when i go back to India.

So now is the time to acquire the skills, knowledge and the experience. A recently published book, my loving and supportive husband tells me, says one needs to invest nearly 10,000 hours in their profession to achieve excellance in their field. It makes me think of Michael Jackson, The Beatles, Michaelangelo, Lata Mangeshkar, R D Burman, Amitabh Bachchan, Amartya Sen, Michel Roux.. well they have all put in their 10,000 hours and more, haven't they?

So that's what i am going to do as well. Feels like a long haul when i think about it, but honestly i am not counting when i am baking. I am so busy whisking, piping, smelling and most importantly tasting.. that i don't know where those long hours fly away.

Onzi (my husband) comes home and asks me what's for dinner and i say, "Cake?!".

5 comments:

  1. Well Jhelum,

    All the best in your tryst. And from my experiences of living out a dream after being compkusively obssessed with it - let me tell you this. Its going to be one hell of a ride. And a mightily enjoyable one at that

    I look forward to the day when your pastry boutique arrived well and truly in India

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on starting this!! Will follow and ask Mami for a possible replication of the good recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carry on... I have same plans with pwritingoem.
    just finished a small course from ocford on poetry writing.

    best of luck jhelum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jhelum,
    This facet of your personality comes as quite a surprise. You were never a foodie so far as I recollect. You were more an outdoors person- swimming, trekking & later you took to reading but a fetish for food, nah !?
    Whatever the past, I must say you write well & your recipes are great !
    I look forward to the day I may get to taste some of your preparations hear in India. Any hope there ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jhelum!

    I was at TISS doing the MSW and don't think we ever said hello :). When I first got a peek at this blog via something Smita (Menon) posted on fb my jaw dropped!! I was soooo impressed.
    I think you are living my dream!! For lack of knowing about courses exclusively on 'baking' back then I begged to be able to do hotel management but got a firm 'no'. One day, I hope to get there!!
    Love that you found ''your thing'' ...all the best!

    ReplyDelete